Sunday 29 September 2013

Clear aligners gave me a perfect smile

As someone who has recently been gifted a new smile, I would like to throw some light on how those longing for the famed Hollywood smile can actually realise their dream. To start with I always had healthy teeth but the only problem was their crookedness. This not only made my smile look a bit awkward but also made it maintaining oral hygiene a difficult process. Every now and then a food particle would get stuck in between them and sometimes it became really difficult to dislodge them from the spaces. So, I had two reasons to undergo smile designing – for a perfect smile and better oral hygiene. I spoke to my aunt who had recently undergone tooth removal about how to start and she recommended her dentist and I immediately called her up and took an appointment. After a brief examination the dentist said that I have to wear an orthodontic appliance to get the perfect alignment. She presented with me different options in metal braces, clear braces, invisible braces and clear aligners. I had heard about the metal braces but didn't know anything about the rest. So, inquired about them. She began with clear braces. They are similar to metallic ones but the only thing that separates them is the material that is used in their making. They are made of composite materials varying in colours. The difference in colours is to match the teeth colour of different patients. The idea is to make them as less noticeable as possible. The invisible ones as the name goes are actually invisible but only to others. Yes! They, unlike the traditional methodology, are fitted to the back of the teeth which hides them from view. Hence, the name invisible braces. It was the last ones – the clear aligners -- that caught my attention. The aligners are plastic trays that are designed to fit on the teeth of individual patients after careful examination. Contrary to the braces, these are worn rather than being fixed and work on the same principle of applying steady, gentle pressure on the teeth to force them to their ideal positions. They are not only comfortable but are also flexible, invisible and don't interfere with your daily routines in anyway. I picked the last option – clear aligners. She also recommended me to undergo teeth whitening as my love for coffee and chocolates had stained them to an extent. I was more than happy to go for that. My curiosity also resulted in her telling me about other cosmetic treatment options available like veneers (for chipped tooth), implants (for missing tooth), crowns (misshapen tooth) and bonding (for damaged teeth to improve their appearance). I didn't need any of these but just the two – orthodontic (wearing aligners) and teeth whitening. You may need one or more of these options to design a perfect smile for yourself. Don't think too much about it. Go and see your dentist. She/he knows it better. And believe me – the feeling when you get after seeing your brand new perfect smile is incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment

SEO by Digital Marketing Logic | Invisible Aligners | Breaking News | Clearpath